8.19.2010
Mineral Creek Trail
I got up yesterday morning thrilled that it wasn't raining and quickly decided I needed to get out and do something. I pulled out this trusty pamphlet that had a half-dozen hikes listed and chose one the gal from the Visitor's Center recommended. It looked a bit long, and since I hadn't any bottles with which to carry water or a pack to carry food, I figured I'd just go a mile or two and come back as opposed to going all the way up to the mill, 9 miles from where I parked. I did drive as far as I could and after bottoming out the car a couple times, decided that traversing further required a tougher vehicle than I had.
I didn't take very long to see the expanse of the Mineral Creek Valley. It was really incredible, and it's true: pictures have no way to convey the vastness and dimension. You'll just have to take my word on it that is is breathtaking. The "trail" was really a gravel road (with prolific potholes of immense proportions) that traversed alongside the so-called creek. There are waterfalls coming down all over the place and it drips from every rock crevice. Salmonberries are also as prolific as the trickles and I helped myself to several along the way. The look like giant raspberries, but unfortunately lacked the flavor. Still, who could resist?
Hiking along, you found yourself looking at the mists in the mini-valleys of the mountain sides that slowly revealed the giant falls as you come around the bends. The one above is called Wood Creek Waterfalls and it was absolutely gorgeous. And loud. Below is just one of the washouts that seem to occur on every trail with frequency up here. I'm glad to have a different path!
I'm amazed during this entire hike that this never placid stretch of water is called a "creek." It is deep and fast in places and where it braids out, it still carries a fair speed. If you hadn't noticed, I disregarded my previous plan to only hike a little way and proceeded to go to the terminus of the trail: W.L. Smith Stamp Mill. It was a broken down mill site that has clearly been beaten down by the elements.
It's still a fascinating piece of history and I made it back safe and sound to the car, thankful I decided to make the full trek. My lunch of blueberries and salmonberries had kept me going and I was protected by bear spray and a pistol in case I had unintended company. Fortunately, I never saw a bear, only one place of evidence, and there were several other people on the trail with me. (Those last sentences were for the moms!)
Next will be the photo's of my day on the next 2 hikes and likely some salmon fishing!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









1 comment:
AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL!
Post a Comment