This was some of the final driving conditions I had coming down into Valdez. There were some AMAZING waterfalls but I was intent on getting to camp as soon as possible to see Pat so I didn't stop. It was a little too much to snap a photo on the drive as there were several people about and cars, so I was needing both hands to drive!
I made it! I even found his campsite (of which he was absent: at the grocery store)!
He immediately went to work to prepare our new tent site that would be up out of the rain and puddles. Yes, that's the lumber I drove up here!
Viola! Floor is complete and level. A lovely place to place a tent! We went right away on supper. The smell of pork chops on the grill brought about some uninvited guests.
A black bear sow and cub ventured a bit too close for comfort and we were unable to scare off the cub. The momma stayed in the alders and just waited for cutie patootie junior to dine and dash with our dinner. We (as in Pat) let the cub get close enough and after he climbed that tree right there, Pat gave him a good dose of pepper spray. We really didn't want to have to shoot him, but if worse came to worse we were prepared. I was a bit jumpy after that! (still am, but getting better with a new, full can of bear spray!)
The next morning I headed out to the Valdez Glacier just up the road from our campground and had breakfast. It was lovely, but started to sprinkle on me.
If anyone thought Pat was crazy for camping instead of staying at "Mancamp" then this photo of it should quell any disagreements. It's a dumpy 2-story stacked slum of Atco trailers made into extremely basic rooms like a hotel. Imagine all the bachelor-type of hygiene that one must encounter in such a place. No wonder Pat chose the later...
Not too shabby, I'd say.
Tomorrow, or whenever I get another chance, I'll share more about my gorgeous 9.2 mile hike up Mineral Creek! I'm out of time, as I need to try to get some laundry done and take a shower before making supper! I'm still enjoying the sights of Valdez!










1 comment:
I'm just getting a chance to catch up. How amazing. This looks so fun. What a great decision you made to join Pat. FUN! Enjoy your days. (As if I need to tell you!)
Post a Comment