With Pat gone again to Granite Point (a camp across the inlet), I took the last day that was forecast to be sunny & hiked up our familiar Skyline. My purpose was to pick blueberries and though it was the afternoon, possibly spot a bear! I was fortunate on both accounts, and before I got up to my intended berry location, I saw a moving black dot between trees on an open patch of low brush. It was only 1:45 or so, and I was surprised to see a bear moving about on such a warm sunny day. It has been getting quite chilly at night, so perhaps the bears know that winter is coming and are taking their opportunity now to gorge.
Here was a glimpse of where I was berry picking. All the burgundy plants are the blueberries, and well as some of the ones not yet changed. It was quite a lovely day and the colors are just starting to show off their glory. In about a week they'll be closer to their full potential. I picked, with the help of this berry-picker, about a quart & a half of blueberries. I don't know what I'm going to do with them, exactly, but they are delicious. It was quite a hike just for berries, but I got to spend the entire afternoon on a mountain shared only by a couple bears, and it couldn't have been more ideal. Oh, well, except that I had left my lights on and run the battery out when I got back to my car and had to flag someone down to jump my car. Praise God, a couple men pulled in to help me after I stood at the road with the jumper-cables waving!
3 comments:
good thing you had your .357 or flaggin' down a couple of Joe's might not have been such a smart idea! :) teehee....it helps that you are a tall, good lookin' blonde or they might not have stopped! :) JK.
it helped that i had a firearm, though not visible!
Just carry around a picture of your bear (in the next blog) and tell them they might want to see my last kill before they even think of anything!!
Post a Comment